Saturday, October 1, 2011

The OCCUPIED WALL STREET JOURNAL

Today at the Occupation was prep for the March over the Brooklyn Bridge.  I met Deb, an old friend from SI and we had a lot to catch up on.  We decided not to march over the Bridge....but now I see that perhaps hundreds were arrested.  After two weeks of occupying Liberty Plaza the group came out with an amazing newspaper that outlines concisely what we are doing there.  I gave out copies to curious passers by, and on the subway home I met a group of students from Spain, and gave one to their teacher.
from the journal..."Our system is broken.  More than 25 million Americans are unemployed.  More than 50 million live without health insurance.  Perhaps 100 million live in poverty. "
"The Wall Street occupation has succeeded in revealing how corporations, politicians, media and police have failed us as institutions offering something positive to humanity."
There are many quotes and pix from people about why they are there. Some of the goodies:
  • "The world is on the cusp of great change and I plan to help tip the scales in favor of all that is good."
  • "The $1.00 in my pocket is more than GE, BP, and Exxon Mobil paid in taxes last year. 
  • I'm sick of my faith being used to justify oppression, injustice, greed and war."
 
    So, tomorrow I'm taking off, but I'll be back with Peace Action on Monday at 12 Noon.