Monday, October 3, 2011

Peace Action meets Occupation: Watching history unfold and being part of it

Today at the Occupation I had the pleasure to be accompanied by Jim from Binghamton, NY and about a dozen peace activists from Peace Action NYS.  I decided to hand out copies of the Journal to curious passers by.  The place was teeming with activity from Democracy Now press conference to a legal briefing...and swarms of reporters, journalists, or just people with cameras and recorders.  The weather was damp and cool, but the spirit was warm and inspirational.  It definitely has a counter culture 60's feel to it, and I love it. Although I admit that what appears to be a lack of organization is really just a different set of rules.  They have many committees, and opportunities to volunteer.  I enjoy going for a few hours, doing what I can, and then leaving when my back hurts or I have to go to the bathroom.  The Peace activists from many different stripes are set to OCCUPY Washington DC on Oct. 6th, which not coincidentally is the 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF OUR OCCUPATION OF AFGHANISTAN.