Monday, September 19, 2011

My grandfather Aaron Oschrin's lower east side

Several years ago I visited the lower east tenement museum on Orchard Street.
There you see an old unrestored tenement that represented the housing for millions of immigrants to NYC at the turn of the 20th century. My grandfather Aaron Oschrin was the first of his large family to emigrate from Russia, and today I visited the site of his first apartment, which is still standing, and occupied near the corner of Essex St. and Delancey. It is directly opposite the famous Essex St. Market, where presumably he shopped.
I have this information from my Aunt Viola's genealogy study which she published some 30 years ago.



115 Essex Street


After contemplating my heritage, I walked up 2nd avenue stopping at Yonah Shimmel knish bakery for a snack. On this sunny & cool day I leisurely strolled by some other notable family sites-
LaSalle Academy on 2nd Avenue and 2nd St, where George's father taught for many years.





Down the block is 75 E.2nd St - Eileen's former residence when she lived in NYC, right opposite Marble cemetery.











writing this now in Stuyvesant Square park, a sunny oasis in the shadow of Beth Israel hospital.




Ending the day with pizza, knishes, and scrabble date with long time friend Madine and new pal Laura.

Location:Lower East side NYC