Monday, September 26, 2011

Camp Takodah - Womens weekend in North Swanzey NH 03431

Driving to camp in New Hampshire on Friday, Sept. 23, 2011 with my friend Amy was a WET one.  It felt like driving through a car wash for 4 hours.  We stopped for lunch and a couple of bathroom breaks, but when we got to Northhampton, Mass, we hoped to take a bit of a look around the town...but it was raining so hard, we couldn't get out of the car!  So, we drove the last half hour through a fairly remote area - directly to the camp, and finally arrived at the very muddy YMCA Camp Takodah.
Our cabin was your typical kids camp set up, and luckily we all got bottom bunks.  And also, it was very near the bathroom, which had nice hot showers.
Then the fun began......we met up with my friends from Binghamton, Rachel & Joann, and 2 of their friends from Auburn Maine rounded out our cabin, which we made very fun & cozy.  There was NO cell service for AT & T users like me, but Verizon gals had some.  I realized I could survive without it for 2 days.  The rain finally ended on Saturday, but the lingering dampness and high humidity brought out our mosquito friends. 
All in all it was a fun weekend, and my highlights include: scrabble,  frisbee golf; early morning kayaking; live music with a local band; beading with Rachel (made some nice earrings) and a 2 hour plus hike to Royalston Falls in Massachusetts.  That was muddy, rocky, and downright challenging in my sneakers.
There are photos online, but sorry, I didn't take any. 
The view was amazing, but next time I'll bring my hiking boots. 
There were workshops on women's health and wellness, and lots of arts & crafts opportunities.  Ok, I admit, I didn't do the ropes course and ZIP line....but Amy borrowed my sneakers so she could, and I'm proud of all the women who grabbed at the opportunity.
They do this every year, and as I filled out my feedback questionnaire, I wondered if I would go again next year...we will see.