Thursday, September 15, 2011

United Nations: guided tour

"Peace, like war, must be waged."
After the check-in, purchase tour tickets and then head downstairs for clean restrooms, coffee shop, and a gift shop showcasing products from all nations. The UN t-shirts I bought were made in Mexico and India.



Sign on first avenue with the worlds population - oh my!











Inside General Assembly










Reflections on Secretariat


Location:UN




And isn't it great that the United Nations representing 193 sovereign states has as its main goal the "coordination for a safer world for this and future generations, promote friendship among all nations, and support economic and social progress? If we weren't at war for half my life, I would be reassured.
So, I got my first look inside the UN today. Pretty damn impressive. Much of the 18 acre site is off limits or under construction. Of course there is intense security everywhere, and the visitors center at 46th and First Avenue requires an airport like check in, but no shoes were removed. I did get my bottle of water confiscated. Tours are available either with a guide or with audio tour, for the same price. Definitely go with the guide, because you can actually have a dialogue with others on the tour, and the guide. We saw the Interim security council, the General Assembly, and some great exhibits on land mines, refugee camps, peacekeeping, and poverty. Our guide explained that the UN budget for a year is only 7.8 billion dollars, that $1.25 a day per person could provide nourishment for the 1.4 billion people who are living below subsistence, and 1.4 Trillion dollars is spent each year on war!
For more information - 212 963-8687 http://visit.un.org
I'm glad I went today, and will continue searching for peaceful tomorrows.


Location:E. 46 and First avenue NYC
POSTSCRIPT....

Today at the UN there was a rally to support statehood for Palestine.
I wanted to stay, but alas, rain and hunger pushed me toward the grand central oyster bar for a bowl of clam chowder with my favorite guy.

1 comment:

SueMackTours said...

is the UN really a viable hope for world peace?